Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

How to Obtain a License

Customers may apply for an ABC license by downloading the appropriate application from the Forms and Reports page, or by visiting one of our regional offices for a hard copy.

Banquet applications may be completed online, if submitted at least 12 days prior to the event date. Banquet applications may also be submitted by mail or in-person.

All other applications must be submitted by mail or in-person.

The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control issues licenses based upon criteria such as beverage type, establishment type, and/or place of consumption. The licenses allow for the serving and/or sale of wine, beer, and/or mixed beverages. Although the Board has many types of licenses, they fall within three categories--banquet, retail and compliance/industry licenses.

Banquet Licenses

Banquet Licenses are for persons or groups who plan to host an event such as a wedding reception, birthday party, family reunion, tasting, fundraiser, etc. where alcohol will be served in an unlicensed location or club premise. Select Banquet (One-Day) and Specialty Banquet Licenses for information on banquet license types, costs and for the online application.

Retail Licenses

Retail Licenses allow the sale of alcohol at restaurants, hotels, convenience stores, grocery stores, gourmet shops, delicatessens, etc. Select License Types & Costs for a complete list of privileges and costs. Select Forms & Reports for the retail application.

Compliance/Industry Licenses

Compliance/Industry privileges are granted to the following groups: shipper, wholesaler, importer, manufacturer, etc. Select Forms & Reports for the retail application (used for all compliance/industry licenses.) Select Shipper's License/Carrier Process for additional procedures and information related to shipper's licenses and the Common Carrier approval process.

Start of Page | Start of Content