Greening the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
ABC is committed to an ongoing program of recycling, energy conservation, waste reduction and cost savings. In accordance with Executive Order 19 (2010), "Conservation and Efficiency in the Operation of State Government", ABC continuously educates, trains and motivates employees to exceed environmental compliance on a consistent basis.
By going greener, ABC:
- Contributes less to the waste stream
- Decreases energy usage
- Safeguards against improper disposal of materials
- Reduces costs
In 2010, ABC recycling reached 878,451 pounds:
- Cardboard = 641,973 pounds (up 13 percent from 2009)
- Paper = 98,555 pounds (up 22 percent from 2009)
- Shrink-wrap = 106,754 pounds (up 39 percent from 2009)
- Pallets = 31,169 pounds (down 17 percent from 2009)
ABC has taken a number of steps to reduce the state's energy and environmental impact at the ABC Central Office and Warehouse:
- Reconfigured two chillers and four pumps
- Decommissioned the boiler above Store 360
- Installed LED lights in elevator lobbies and all clocks
- Installed low-flow aerators on all sinks
- Completed conversion from T12 to T8 lighting throughout the Central Office
- Installed high bay fluorescent energy efficient lights in the Central Warehouse
- Automated main lights in the Central Warehouse
- Installed auto controls in conveyor and de-pallet area of the Central Warehouse
- Deployed programmable smart battery chargers
Overall, total energy usage decreased four percent in comparison to 2009. In 2010, ABC yielded approximately 3.66 million kWh compared to 3.81 million kWh in 2009, a decrease of approximately 150,000 kWh.
The peak month, July, yielded 381,872 kWh in 2010 and 393,600 kWh in 2009, a decrease of three percent.
ABC energy conservation dictates thermostats for all agency facilities (stores and offices) should be controlled based on occupancy and season.
Environmentally friendly products:
ABC switched to cleaning supplies that are environmentally friendly products wherever possible.
ABC is exploring "green" locations for its future stores.
In 2008, ABC earned its E-2 Certification, Virginia Environmental Excellence Program (VEEP), Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. It is currently pursuing its E-3 Certification.
ABC licensees can find out more information about becoming certified as a "green" restaurant or event at http://www.deq.virginia.gov/p2/virginiagreen.
ABC's recycling and energy conservations programs were first put in place nearly four decades ago.
Cardboard Boxes Available:
Are you moving or looking for extra storage? ABC can help. Please visit your local ABC store to pick up reusable cardboard boxes. After using the recycled boxes, give them to someone else to reuse or put them in a cardboard recycling receptacle.